When it comes to home improvement, there are many ways to improve the value, beauty, and functionality of your property. From kitchen and bathroom remodeling to siding replacement and new window installation, deciding how to proceed with plans to upgrade your house construction is an important decision. One of the most important projects for homeowners is replacing an existing roof. Roof replacement is a major renovation decision. However, a good roof installation is a highly effective way to enhance your investment.
Because new roofing is such an important (and expensive) remodeling project, it is important to choose the roofing material that is suitable to the type of your home, your personal preferences, and style, as well as budget. Although you can do your own research, it also greatly helps if you have access to roofing specialists who can provide you with expert advice on which type to install in your home.
DreamHome Remodeling Inc. has been a trusted Virginia and Maryland roofing contractor for two decades. With our team of roofing specialists and expert home remodelers, we can help bring your home to the next level. In this article, we will provide a comparison of some of the most popular roofing material options in order to help you make the wisest decision about your upcoming roof replacement project.
Asphalt shingle roofing is the most common type of roof material in the United States because of its low cost and easy installation. In some cases, asphalt shingles are reinforced with fiberglass or cellulose. Asphalt shingles can be used in homes of different architectural styles but look best in traditional, suburban-style homes.
- Advantage: Asphalt shingles can come in a wide range of
colors and is one of the cheapest materials in the market.
- Disadvantage: Compared to other roofing materials, it has a shorter life span and doesn’t offer the best insulation performance.
Clay and Concrete Tiles
concrete tiles can make your roof look more elegant and add texture. While
flat, ribbed, or scalloped clay tiles are durable, they can also be very heavy.
Compared to genuine clay, concrete tiles are more affordable. Clay and concrete
tiles are ideal for Mediterranean, Spanish, and Southwestern-style
- Advantage: This type lasts longer than other types of
materials and is very energy-efficient.
- Disadvantage: Clay and concrete tiles can be pricey. Because they are heavy, additional framing is necessary.
Metal roofing can come in panels or shingles and are usually made with copper, aluminum, zinc, and stainless steel. This is a common option because it is lightweight and resistant to harsh weather conditions. Metal roofing is a good option for bungalows, cottage, cabin, and contemporary-style homes.
- Advantage: Metal roofing is more durable than asphalt or wood and has a good solar reflectance feature.
- Disadvantage: Metal is a relatively expensive option. However metal roofing can last a very long time—between 50 and 100 years or more, depending on the type of metal and quality of installation.
Slate roofing usually comes in black, red, grey, green, and purple. Slate is known for its gorgeous aesthetic appeal and is ideal for European, Colonial, and French chateau-style homes
- Advantage: Not only is slate durable and resistant to fire, but it is also a sustainable option as it can be recycled.
- Disadvantage: Slate can be expensive and requires additional framing because the material is so heavy.
Wood Shingles and Shake
and shake roofing is considered the most traditional choice for homeowners
replacing their rooftops, known by its ability to age well—weathering into a
pleasant shade of gray over time. Wood shakes are rougher-looking compared wood
shingles because they are handmade. In order to make this material
fire-resistant, wood roofing products are treated with a special kind of
coating. Normally, wood shingles and shakes are used for bungalows, cottages,
Cape Cod, and Tudor-style homes.
- Advantage: Gives a rustic appeal and is a natural
- Disadvantage: A wood shingle and shake roof is sensitive to the elements and requires constant maintenance to avoid becoming damaged by harsh weather conditions, develop mold, and rot.
Your Trusted Virginia and Maryland Roofing Contractor
If you are looking for a reliable Virginia and Maryland roofing contractor, DreamHome Remodeling Inc. is the company to call. Since 1999, it has been the most trusted provider of roofing, windows, doors, siding, and attic insulation services.
With the help of our roofing specialists and home improvement experts, we manage to provide top quality services and award-winning products for our customers. Some of the awards and accolades that our company has earned over the years include:
- Owens Corning Platinum Preferred Roofer Distinction
- Accreditation from the Better Business Bureau
- Top-Rated with HomeAdvisor
- Angie’s List “Super Service Award”in 2017
- Roofing Contractor Top 100 list
If you want to learn more about our services, give us a call at DreamHome Remodeling Inc today. You may also fill out this quick online form for a free and accurate in-home pricing estimate and consultation.