If you live on the East Coast of the United States, you’re probably quite accustomed to storms—from blizzards and hurricanes to hailstorms and sometimes even tornados. Without a strong and durable rooftop, living in states like Virginia and Maryland would pose a great risk to the safety of your household.
It’s no secret that roof replacement of the home is one of the most expensive home improvement projects you can take on. However, it’s also one of the most valuable changes you can make to enhance your home’s value, beauty, and functionality. In areas of the world where the weather is particularly intense, like the Eastern United States, a strong and durable rooftop is doubly important—which is why homeowners need to do their research in order to choose the best option for a roof replacement.
In this article, our experts at DreamHome reveal the top five roofing materials we recommend for superior protection against storm damage. In addition, we will guide you on how you can get started with your Owens Corning Platinum Preferred Roofer today, in case you’re in need of a new roof installation in the Virginia and Maryland area.
Our Top Five Roofing Materials for Storms
It’s safe to say that all types of roofing materials will provide protection for your home to some degree since that’s what they’re designed to do. However, roofing options are distinct in their performance under various conditions, just as they are different and unique in style.In other words, some roofing materials naturally perform better in certain weather conditions than others. For example, the top five roofing materials for storm damage are:
- Metal Roofing: From aluminum to copper, zinc, and steel shingles, there are many options to choose from when you select a metal roof for your home. Plus, a metal roof is noted for its ability to withstand wind speeds between 110-160 mph and can handle hail impact better than most other materials. On average, metal rooftops are known to last anywhere from 50-100 years or longer, depending on the type of metal used and the quality of installation.
- Ceramic Tile: While ceramic tiles are less popular options in the northeast when compared to other roofing materials, this option is a viable one. Ceramic offers superior protection against sea salt spray during hurricanes and can handle winds over 100 mph. Ceramic tile is designed to last between 50-100 years but is more fragile against heavy impacts compared to some other options.
- Natural Slate: Slate is a material similar to ceramic tile but lasts longer. It’s also well-known to offer excellent hail protection, although it’s not recognized for extreme durability with heavy impacts caused by other forces. A slate roof can last for 100 years or more but requires care and reinforced support beams due to the weight of slate.
- Wood Shakes: This roofing material is top-notch when it comes to handling high wind speeds. Boasting the highest threshold at 245 mph, this option is a popular option. However, keep in mind that wood doesn’t last as long as other materials and requires more maintenance and upkeep than other materials. In general, wood shake rooftops last between 20-30 years or a bit longer depending on the maintenance and installation.
- Asphalt Shingles: Asphalt shingles are by far the most popular roofing material in the United States. The standard version of the asphalt shingle offers virtually no protection against storm damage. If storm damage protection is a concern and you like the affordability of asphalt shingles, it’s highly recommended that homeowners upgrade to architectural grade asphalt shingles. These shingles can handle up to 130 mph winds and are much sturdier than their standard counterpart.
Keep in mind that proper installation offers more storm damage protection than anything else. A properly installed roof made of the right materials can provide you unmatched protection against the different types of storms. To ensure you have a properly installed roof you should consider working with Virginia and Maryland Roofers like the ones at DreamHome Remodeling Inc.
New Roof Installations from DreamHome Remodeling Inc.
Storms can be absolutely devastating for homeowners without a proper roofing installation. Whether it’s hurricanes or snowstorms, heavy rain or snow—the impact that adverse weather conditions can have on your home can affect your comfort, safety, and finances.
Whether you’re in need of maintenance, minor or major repairs, or a full roof replacement, you can count on the team at DreamHome Remodeling Inc. to come to your rescue. We strive to combine superior customer service with quality work and affordable prices, to make sure your home is well-protected with a high-quality rooftop throughout the year.
If you’d like to know how you can further protect your home from storm damage with a high-quality roof, give DreamHome a call now to speak with our Virginia and Maryland Roofers. If you prefer, you may also fill out our online form to schedule your free, in-home pricing estimate and consultation for your roofing options.