For property owners, there is possibly nothing worse than roof damage. Whether it’s a roof repair or roof replacement, chances are that the cost will be high—which is why it’s so important to make sure your installation is high-quality and well-maintained.
With regular inspection by a Maryland and Virginia roofer like DreamHome Remodeling, you can minimize the need for repairs. However, most homeowners are unaware of the main causes of roof damage to look out for when performing a maintenance check—or how urgent the need for repairs really is.
In this article, our experts at DreamHome Remodeling will go over some of the top causes of roofing damage that you should be aware of to help you protect your home. Take a look at these important details and make sure you’re on top of your home repairs to protect your most important investment now and in the long-term.
Breaking Down Roofing Damage
Being aware of the most important signs of roofing damage is half the battle. The other half is knowing the action to take to remedy the problem. That’s why we have provided a list of the top ten causes of roofing damage for your review.
- Poor Maintenance: Hands down, this is the most common type of roofing damage that ends up costing homeowners the most the longer the problems persist. A lack of regular professional maintenance and inspection leads to the development of leaks and other forms of damage due to the roof wearing down over time. In the early stages, these repairs are simple and cheap to resolve, but all small problems become huge problems in time.
- Hail Damage: Hail is a product of heavy storms and is possibly the most feared element by homeowners due to its devastating potential for impact damage. These hardened balls of ice can not only dent the roof, but they can also wear away at the granules within the shingles. You can minimize the impact by getting a professional to inspect the roof immediately after a hailstorm.
- High Winds: Winds at high mph can rip away shingles, exposed nails, and warp different parts of the roof. The worst part about wind damage is the lack of evidence when the shingles haven’t been blown away. Sometimes, shingles become curled instead leading to the possibility of trapped water.
- Inclement Weather: Conditions like excess humidity, snow, and even sun exposure can damage the roof over time. The damage is usually small at first, but the breakdown in materials makes this small problem a big one in a short amount of time.
- Improper Installation: The best materials mean nothing in the face of poor installation. A roof that isn’t installed properly is a magnet for concerns such as leaks, trapped water, and even roof collapse. It is crucial that a qualified and experienced roofing contractor installs the roof.
- Tree Limbs: The trees on your property are a beautiful landscaping component and provide wonderful scenery. If they are close to the house, they can also be a source of roof damage thanks to branches being snapped off during inclement weather. This can be avoided by removing any branches that are within 10 feet of the home.
- Debris: Items like leaves, pine needles, and even granules from shingles can spell disaster for your roof. Over time, these items build up and can be a large source of trapped water. The trapped moisture can result in the development of rot and mold. If left unchecked, holes can be easily punched through the roof. In addition, mold can spread, which can cause health problems.
- Animals: Any creature that can get to your roof is a potential threat. From woodpeckers and squirrels to mice and termites, there are numerous ways the roof can become damaged. Shingles can be pulled away, holes can be made, and even the flashings can become damaged. Regular inspections can help you stay on top of any animal action.
- Gutters: The gutters are the method by which water drains out and away from the roof. A poorly functioning gutter system means that debris becomes trapped. When debris is trapped, the water has nowhere to go. In time, the water can seep through the roof layers and even result in the formation of rot.
- UV Rays: The sun is a constant, and sun exposure is one of the most common factors that cause the aging of your rooftop. Over time, the UV rays begin to age the shingles and any exposed layers underneath. Signs of aging include dried or cracked shingles, pieces of the falling roof, and faded coloring. With this type of damage, it’s usually a sign that roof replacement is needed.
When it comes to the roof, immediate action is always preferable to putting it off until later. At DreamHome, we have the experience and training necessary to identify any sources of roofing damage and to provide the necessary roof repair or a roof replacement your home needs. Our goal is to provide prompt and superior service whether your home has a leak or storm damage roof issue has occurred.
Ready to look into roof repair or roof replacement? Give us a call to speak with one of our agents at DreamHome Remodeling about our professional roofing services or fill out our online form to schedule your free quote.